Back to Top

Withdrawing From Classes…..What It Means To You.

Definitions of Withdrawal

Official withdrawal: If you withdraw from all or some of your AACC classes, according to the procedures outlined in the AACC Catalog, you will receive final grades of W, WP or WF (withdrawal, withdrawal passing or withdrawal failing).

Unofficial withdraw: If you stop attending all or some of your classes during the term, but do not follow the college procedure for officially withdrawing from classes, you will receive final grades of FX (Failed – stopped attending).


What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from ALL classes?

If you received Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG Grant, Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan, or Federal PLUS loan funds, federal regulations require AACC to adjust this aid based on the percentage of the term that you attended. If you withdraw or stop attending (officially or unofficially) prior to the 60 percent point of the term, we are required to do a Return of Funds calculation. A portion of your financial aid will be returned to the Department of Education. You also may have to repay AACC a portion of the aid that you received.


What happens after the calculation is done?

We will send you a notice summarizing the results of the Return of Funds calculation. The letter will list the amount of unearned funds that were returned to the appropriate aid programs. If you have a balance due to AACC as a result of the recalculation, you will receive a bill in the mail. You must pay this balance in full before you can register for additional classes.

Return of funds example:

A student received a Pell Grant for the fall term. She withdrew from classes after 21 percent of the term had been completed. Twenty-one percent of her aid was earned and will not be adjusted. The other 79 percent  was not earned and must be returned to the Department of Education. Using the Return of Funds calculation, funds will be returned to the Department of Education and she may owe money to Anne Arundel Community College. The amounts owed depend on a number of factors, including tuition, fees, book charges, type of aid received and refunds received. AACC will return the funds to the Department of Education for the student and will bill her for the portion owed to AACC.


Withdrawal Affect on Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations also require institutions to monitor the academic progress of all financial aid recipients. AACC SAP standards require students to maintain a 2.0 grade point average, complete at least 67 percent of all attempted credits and complete their program of study before they have attempted more than 150 percent of all required credits. If you withdraw or stop attending a class, that class counts as an attempted credit that was not completed.

See the complete Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.